Benjamin Johnston, RFL Academy 2016
How has your participation in RFL impacted your personal and professional growth?
When I joined RFL, I have to admit that I joined with the goal of simply networking. On day one with Greg, I realized that the experience would be much more immersive and transformative than I could have imagined. On a personal level, RFL has changed the way I have crucial conversations with loved ones and friends. I approach those conversations in an entirely different manner than I did before RFL and more effectively. On a professional level, I am much more sensitive to the distinct personalities and the emotional makeup of those I work with. I am able to serve as a more effective leader and teammate because I now understand that everyone is not me and that is ok. We all have our own strengths, weaknesses, and predilections. RFL enabled me to identify those characteristics and capitalize on them.
What qualities have you come to believe are most important for true leadership, and why?
True leadership starts with listening to your teammates and understanding what motivates them. A purported leader who does not listen to their team is flying blind. A purported leader who doesn’t understand what motivates each individual on the team will not be able to drive the team to success. While I am prone to think otherwise, I do not always know the answer to difficult situations. Listening to my team provides insights that I may have missed, allows me to better articulate the answer to the whole team, and facilitates shared goals of the whole team. Leveraging each individuals motivations allows the team to more expeditiously and effectively reach our shared goals.
Our mission is to develop leaders for the community. Please share your community involvement through leadership roles you’ve held. List the name of the organization/citizens group, your role and the years served.
- River Valley Ranch HOA (Executive Board, 2018-present)
- Roaring Fork Leadership (Board of Directors, 2016 – 2018)
- 9th District Bar Association (Treasurer, 2016; Vice President, 2016; President, 2018)
- Executive Council for the Young Lawyer’s Division of the Colorado Bar Association (2016 – 2018)
- American Bar Association’s Sales Practices Subcommittee (Co-Chair, 2015)
- Colorado Bar Association’s Young Lawyer Division’s (Liaison, Construction Law Group, 2015)
- Member, Aspen Young Professional Association (2015)
- Member, Roaring Fork Young Professional Association (2015)
- AmeriCorps Service (2009-2010)
- Vice-Chair, Missouri Bar Association’s Tort Law Committee (2010-2011)